Friday, November 14

In Honor of Dianne...

I recently ordered a book based on a phrase in the subtitle - "one anothering." (Authentic Relationships: discover the lost art of one anothering by Wayne and Clay Jacobsen) I loved the sound of that phrase. Today was my first chance to pick it up and start reading and I hadn't even made it out of the preface before I knew I would love this book. But this post is less about the book and more about...Dianne. The author pulls out of the New Testament almost two dozen examples of how we "one another" each other and as I looked through the list I realized that my friendship with Dianne includes, I think, every one of them. I have other friendships that come close - but only the quotidian nature of our Gmail chat (quotidian's for you, D) has allowed us to so completely, in my opinion, "one another" each other.

Here is the author's list of where "one anothering" can be found in scripture:
  • Loving one another John 13:34
  • Forgiving one another Ephesians 4:32
  • Accepting one another Romans 15:7
  • Bearing with one another Ephesians 4:2
  • Being devoted to one another Romans 12:10
  • Honoring one another above ourselves Romans 12:10
  • Greeting one another 2 Corinthians 13:12
  • Being hospitable to one another 1 Peter 4:9
  • Being kind and compassionate to one another Ephesians 4:32
  • Sharing with one another Hebrews 13:16
  • Carrying one another's burdens Galatians 6:2
  • Building up one another 1 Thessalonians 5:11
  • Encouraging one another daily Hebrews 3:13
  • Comforting one another 1 Thessalonians 4:18
  • Stimulating one another to love and good deeds Hebrews 10:24
  • Instructing one another Romans 15:14
  • Admonishing one another Colossians 3:16
  • Praying for one another James 5:16
  • Confessing your sins to one another James 5:16
  • Being of the same mind toward one another Romans 12:16
  • Submitting to one another Ephesians 5:21
I've actually said this to Dianne before - Everyone should have a Dianne in their life.

Note to Dianne: My comment inbox awaits your snarky reply.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is SO beautiful i thought for a minute you had "gone to be with Jesus" Dianne!! What exactly DOES Elesa want from you, girlfriend?!?

--- said...

Yeah - I checked out the "in honor of" "in memory of" etc. and "in honor of" is okay to use when someone's still kicking & breathing.