When I was a little girl, one of my most cherished gifts was a small book for girls on the subject of manners. It was titled White Gloves & Party Manners. I loved reading through it and envisioning myself in each situation (in case I ever needed to curtsy and address the Ambassador of Portugal, I was going to be ready).
As an adult, protocol and formal events make me very nervous - so many hidden pitfalls, and don't even mention what to wear! Much easier to avoid anything that smacks of formality than to try to navigate those murky waters.
Now here we are in Guatemala, and while I expect that our involvement in such things will be minimal, this very first week we're faced with two such "unknown" events.
The first I braved today. Invited to a "luncheon" I tried to make the best of what my suitcase had to offer - dressing it up considerably with various pieces of jewelry (including a beautiful dragonfly pin from Cindy Smith which garnered compliments - again!). This luncheon was to be held at the home of the USAID Director, hosted by his wife. I had no idea what to expect or who to expect. Poor Jeff - the entire way there I bitched and moaned and told him how much he owes me, etc. etc. etc. The home was huge and incredibly gorgeous - with 4 or 5 Guatemalan National Policemen guarding it. I got out of the car and just took a deep breath and managed to make eye contact, introduce myself, etc. etc. As far as I know, no faux paus were committed. Who can tell. Of course everyone is introduced by who their husband is - don't even get me started there. But I guess that's my new life and my new identity.
The lunch itself was served very formally with servants, etc. I paid very close attention to everything that was done at the table and by the hostess in case HORRORS I were ever to be called on to host such a thing. I don't think that will happen so I can breathe easy there, but I observed nonetheless.
I must admit that everyone, from the Ambassador's wife on down (oh no - I did say down didn't I - I've already placed myself and everyone else into the "hierarchy" of wives. Ick.) was very nice and easy to talk to and I ended up....wait for it...having a good time.
Tomorrow night we're invited to an evening of orchestral music hosted by the Ambassador and his wife - Jeff will be wearing a suit and tie! - hmm....not sure enough jewelry in the world can dress up what I've got in MY suitcase. Wish me luck!
Wednesday, August 11
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good Luck, Elesa! Don't worry about being too dressy ... just tell 'em you were going for the down-to-earth look (I would look for a "non white glove" person to talk to if I was there : ) Love, Sally K.
I think I would pay big bucks to see Jeff in a tie :-) As for you, please know your at the top of our pecking order so don't start ranking yourself. I heard you serve a 'mean' brunch with crystal and flowers and the works.
Post a Comment