I've been spending so much time watching CNN and FoxNews for coverage of the Pope's imminent demise that you would think that I was someone who had a lifelong fascination with Pope John Paul II. On the contrary, until the day before yesterday I don't think I've given him a thought. But for some reason, the more I watched the last couple of days, the more I wanted to know. I've learned that it's estimated that he met more people in his lifetime than anyone else on earth. He apparently was an unlikely choice for Pope back in 1979 and the media was ill-prepared for his election and had to scramble to come up with information on him. He had a particular love for children and youth and created the Catholic Youth Conferences that sound like they must be huge pep rallies for God and Catholicism.
I think that I will be on the lookout for a good biography about him and I'm starting to regret that I didn't pay more attention to his life and the things that he said and did. I guess I always figured that since I wasn't Catholic, he was irrelevant to my life. Apparently, that's not the case, as he's said to be one of the top 5 or 6 most influential men in the world.
It will be interesting to see who is elected Pope next and I think this time around I will pay more attention - I'm curious to see what his impact will be on the world - Catholic and non-Catholic.
For a pretty comprehensive look at his life and his actions as Pope - go to this article http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050402/D897FNB80.html
Rest in Peace.
Saturday, April 2
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment